January 20, 2010

Keeping it Real

Generally speaking, when I do laundry I like to fold it right out of the dryer. I mean like, as soon as its done I open the dryer door and stand right there and fold everything into little piles on the washer to be put straight away. It also gets me out of a whole lot of ironing.

Except whites. I loathe folding whites.

Sometimes however, whether I just don't feel like it, or I'm in a hurry, or something else requires my immediate attention, I confess, I will just throw everything into a pile in the hallway so I can switch the clothes over from the washer.

And sometimes its sits there for a while.

Yesterday... well, yesterday I had a lot of laundry to do. Folding just wasn't in my agenda so after about five or six full loads, my hallway didn't look much like a hallway.



You will be relieved to know that I did indeed fold all this last night before bed. Well... almost all of it. The whites are in a basket sitting on my bed, impatiently waiting to be folded.

I'm secretly hoping that a hundred people say that they too have done something like this so that my humiliation isn't in vain. But I'd settle for just one.

Of course, I would never admit that out loud let alone in writing!

I am, however, feeling deeply grateful for my washer and dryer.  There was many a day when I had to use up six washers at the laundry mat back when we were in a two bedroom apartment at college with three kids.

I would load up the wagon and the stroller. Sometimes my dirty laundry would topple over on the way down, sometimes my clean laundry would topple over on the way back up, and sometimes (though rare) a fellow apartment dweller would take extreme pity on me and would help me balance my many baskets and garbage bags down the hill.

Those people have a place prepared for them in heaven.

                                                        

11 super cool people speak:

Stacy said...

I am bowing down to you for standing at the dryer and folding the clothes as they come out. That speaks to a level of dedication and homemaking that I can only aspire to. My laundry always looks like that. Don't feel bad.

Wonder Woman said...

I remember the days of multiple kids at the laundry mat. I am SO SO SO SO glad those days are over!!!

For some strange reason, I do not mind doing laundry at all. I enjoy the excuse to sit and watch TV without any guilt.

That said.....I have about 4 loads to do today and I'm a little scared. Luckily Superman won't be home till late and I can fold while I watch TV after the kids are in bed.

ldsjaneite said...

Think of the days when there were no washers and dryers. I only had a little bit of time (in Europe and incollege) when I didn't have those lovely conveniences. And I was only washing clothes for me. Truly--blessed, honored pioneers!

I love the laundry picture, though. It makes me find something to be grateful for in only having to wash my own stuff. :-)

pennylutz said...

I agree with you... I HATE to fold whites. I usually leave it in a basket for my husband to fold when he gets home. He knows I won't ever do it.

Elizabeth said...

I've got a basket of whites in my room that got washed on Friday...I can't remember if it was last Friday or the one before that... Anyway it's been a while! I am also grateful to have a washer and dryer IN my house. I'd put William in the bjorn, strap a bag of laundry to my back and carry the overflowing basket in front of me and I thought I was going to die... I don't know how you did it with 3 kids!

Kira said...

I am the queen of piling the laundry. If my kids want to earn, it is to the laundry pile they go. I never fold out of the dryer, though I hear it is good too. These days, if the laundry gets done, it's nice.

I used to use 5 washers and 4 dryers to do laundry once a week in CA. A stroller loaded with a bag of laundry taller than me, a small basket, and 2 little kids with a full flight of exposed external stairs. Kids down, stroller down. Hope the laundry doesn't fall. Then up again in 2 hours. You are never alone when it comes to laundry tales.

Kelly said...

I am always impressed with myself when I actually get the laundry folded on the same day as it was washed! And then there is the stuff that requires ironing... Matt's shirts and they usually sit there a while waiting to be ironed.

I have to tell you about doing laundry at wymount in the middle of the construction... Imagin at the bottom of my stairwell- HUGE mud pit- my double stroller loaded with laundry and towing Isaac through the mud to get to the sidewalk. Well the stroller tipped and dumped one of the baskets and Isaac sat down to dig. Me, my laundry, my stroller and Isaac were all covered with MUD by the time we got to the laundrymat! Funny story and funny memories! hahaha

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Oh Kelly, that sounds awful! But I admit, I sort of laughed too. I'm glad I missed at the construction!

I bet everyone has a least on laundry horror story. Thanks for sharing gals! I do feel a little better!

Meeks said...

It's such a catch-22...you get on top of your laundry by doing 2-3 loads....but then 2-3 loads come out the otherside *sob sob* can't win!

Mama Smith said...

TRUE STORY: When Garvin asked me if I wanted an "engagement" ring...I said..."NO...I would rather have a WASHER and DRYER!"...The best decision I ever made...Because...9 months and 1 day later...after we were married...we had our first child...and it never stopped after that...7th child...oldest was 8 years old...I can't imagine...doing all that laundry...at the laundry-mat...with 7 children tagging along...adoring my diamond ring...

Kelly said...

Oh Serene, if only you were the only one. Let's see, i just finally finished folding the 4 loads of laundry i had piled for over a week on my floor and i'm blogging instead of putting the new laundry in. It never seems to end... and i only have one!!! haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...