June 10, 2013

Worst Tooth Fairy Ever


Jacob lost his first tooth.

Boy oh boy, was he excited for his first visit from the tooth fairy.

I thought SURELY, despite our issues with her in the past, that SURELY, this time, she would be on the ball and be there for Jacob.

I should have known better.

I mean, what the heck is the matter with her? Is it really that hard to swing by our house? Does is smell that bad?

What's the dealio?

Jacob came tearing into my bedroom about 5:30am holding his tooth, asking us if we thought the tooth fairy would be able to find it since she hadn't come yet.

I had my misgivings, but tried to assure him that the tooth fairy would be able to find it.

About 7:00am, I went into the boys rooms where Jacob appeared to be sleeping. Not so silently since my knees creaked like rusty old hinges, I bent down and gently slipped my hand under his pillow.

Jacob's eyes flew open and bored into me.

J: "Mommy? What are you doing?"

Me: "I uh... eh hem... was just checking to make sure the tooth fairy was able to make it! I mean, whew! It sure was windy last night!"

J: "Well? Did she leave any money?"

Me: "Hmmm.... I don't know? Did she?"

Jacob then lifts up his pillow for find a nice dollar bill.

Suddenly Savannah speaks up from behind me. (When did she get there?) "You totally put that dollar there mom."

Me: "Pish, who me? No way! It was the tooth fairy!"

J: "Ya right. It was you!"

I denied any knowledge of such a thing.

Later that day, Daddy asked Jacob if the tooth fairy ever made it.

He replied, "Well, mommy said that the tooth fairy couldn't make it because it was so windy last night, so I think she gave me the dollar."

*sigh* I tried.

Worst tooth fairy ever.

I need to submit a request for a new one.

12 super cool people speak:

Mikki said...

Isn't it wonderful what liars we become as parents? One of mine recently lost his tooth while I was at work. Daddy had already gone to bed so neither of us knew about it. He put his tooth under the pillow with the greatest of expectations. Needless to say the TF didn't put in an appearance. I had to scramble quickly for an explanation that day. What I came up with was that she knew we hadn't had the opportunity to make a fuss over the lost tooth, so she decided to wait a day.

Mikki said...

Isn't it wonderful what liars we become as parents? One of mine recently lost his tooth while I was at work. Daddy had already gone to bed so neither of us knew about it. He put his tooth under the pillow with the greatest of expectations. Needless to say the TF didn't put in an appearance. I had to scramble quickly for an explanation that day. What I came up with was that she knew we hadn't had the opportunity to make a fuss over the lost tooth, so she decided to wait a day.

Mary Lou said...

Serene....
Jacob lost his first tooth?! Congrats!! That is exciting!! ;)
"About 7:00am, I went into the boys rooms where Jacob appeared to be sleeping. Not so silently since my knees creaked like rusty old hinges, I bent down and gently slipped my hand under his pillow. Jacob's eyes flew open and bored into me. J: 'Mommy? What are you doing?' Me: 'I uh... eh hem... was just checking to make sure the tooth fairy was able to make it! I mean, whew! It sure was windy last night!' J: 'Well? Did she leave any money?' Me: 'Hmmm.... I don't know? Did she?'." Nice save, Mama!! Savannah should have kept her little mouth shut!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;-D
--Raelyn

dieMutti said...

I think yours is better than mine... My sweet son lost his first tooth a few weeks ago. After the first night, no appearance from the tooth fairy. That's okay, maybe she was scared away by the tornado warnings... Second night? Nope. Maybe she was too busy... Third night? NO! This was getting ridiculous. FINALLY, she came on the fourth night. She did leave him an extra dollar. I'm guessing it was to make up for her slacker-ness. My son, bless his heart, said she probably had to wait to come until he was nicer to his sisters... (!). Sigh. I need a new tooth fairy too :)

balloongal said...

So sad. We have only one child who has been losing teeth so far and she has a special pillow to put her tooth in. She never puts her tooth pillow under her pillow, though. She always puts it out where the tooth fairy can reach it. Her idea.

Susan Case said...

Great post! We've all been there. I still have some of Sarah's teeth saved - opps the Tooth Fairy was supposed to take them, right? Following you from MMB Contributors.

B said...

No worries. Growing up we would just give our dad our tooth and he'd hand us $2. We thought that was pretty sweet, cuz all we wanted was the money anyway :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh, no! Good save, though! We don't do the Tooth Fairy. I tell the kids I'm the Mommy Fairy and give them a dollar for the teeth...and then Daddy tells them that for their 16th birthdays, they are getting a necklace and earrings made from said teeth. Oy!

Mama Smith said...

Oh..my goodness...Wish I had known this story...BEFORE...I saw Jacob, yesterday! I could have sooth the entire situation...smile (I would have had to "stretch the truth"...but, then...what are Grammy's for...but to help their children out of tough spots with THEIR children...smile

Unknown said...

At our house we have a tooth jar that comes out and sits on the kitchen counter when someone loses a tooth. Best choice we've ever made. Last thing everyone sees before bed!

Valerie said...

The tooth's fairy's job is sure a hard one. I'm glad to hear that she messes up at other people's house more than once. :)

Now that my kids are too old, I saw Becky's comment above and have to say, that is a great idea.

Susan Anderson said...

haha

Funny thing. Our tooth fairy was a bit erratic as well...

;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...