January 9, 2014

The Rest of the Story

I apologize for the delay in posting this second part. I have been without a computer the last few days and it is remarkably hard to blog on a tablet when photos are involved.

The difference between the first 12 hours post-surgery and the next 12 hours were as dramatic as night and day.

Now that we were managing his pain and he was eating regularly, he seemed content to just be held.

Besides having all the nurses oogle over his super-cuteness, which included his chubby cheeks and rolly thighs (which he inherited from me) they would also comment on how amazingly good he looked for just having had surgery.

Perhaps they say that to everyone, but it still made me feel good.

When the neuro-surgeon stopped by, he remarked on how great Jackson's sutures looked and was impressed with how little swelling he had.

Then he completely shocked us by saying he was fine with us leaving that day since all his blood work came back great! But that plastics (the plastic surgeon) had the final say on that.

I couldn't help but feel a bit... I don't know, nervous? Surprised? Elated? Terrified? All of the above mixed together in a cocktail of emotions.

Shaken, not stirred.

Someone from the plastics team stopped by later and again seemed highly impressed with how good he looked and was eating.

And again even later, Dr. Siddiqi came by to check on us personally, commented on how little swelling he had and that everything looked great! Then he too said we could check out of the hospital anytime we felt ready.

In truth, I wasn't sure at all that I felt ready! We were in the hospital for five days after Alayna's procedure. And here with Jackson, it had been less than 24 hours since his surgery and everyone was saying we could leave!

I just couldn't get over the difference.

I know we experienced our own little miracles in both of our children's craniosynostosis cases.

Nothing had gone wrong during either surgery, not even the slightest complication. And with both post-surgery experiences, the surgeons were so impressed with how well each child had done, how little swelling they had, and how quickly they recovered.

So thank you all again for your prayers in our behalf. I have no doubt the prayers were answered.

I must also give a special shout out to my amazing friends Seth and Kira for this incredible hospital goodie bag that Seth drove over an hour to drop off for us.

They had also done this when were in the hospital with Alayna.

It's amazing how such a gesture feels so incredibly thoughtful.

I need to do this for someone. To pay it forward.

Daddy and Jackson had some good chats about all the fun stuff they were going to do together when he was feeling better, while mommy worked up the nerve just to leave the hospital.

It was so nice to finally get all these monitors, IV lines, and respiratory tabs taken off his little body.

By the looks of it, he was just as ready as we were.

So, we finally checked out of the hospital about 5:00pm Saturday night.

That's only 29 hours after his surgery.

We went back to my brother's apartment, where my ever so kind sister-in-law had been watching Alayna and Claira, as well as her two-year old twins and seven-month old baby.

Sunday morning, Hubby loaded up the girls and drove back home.

Some things had come up at work and since we were out of the hospital and Jackson was doing well, he decided to go home for a couple of days.

My in-laws were also bringing the older kids back that day since school started the following day for them. I so appreciate their help. My mother-in-law also stayed until this morning to watch the kids while Hubby was at work.

Jackson and I stayed in Salt Lake because he had another appointment on Wednesday to get his head scanned for the helmet he will be wearing for the next 6-9 months. There had to be those few days in between so the swelling and fluid could go down enough to get accurate measurements.

Very late that Sunday night, another great friend of mine, Sarah, drove an hour to drop off dinner for us so we could have it the next day.

Seriously, how was I blessed with such fabulous people in my life?

Hubby left Wednesday morning to drive down and pick us up for Jackson's appointment.

Here is our handsome little man Wednesday morning before his appointment.

I can already see a difference in the way he looks!

Here is an image to kind of show you the subtle differences made simply from the surgery itself.

The red line is his head shape Thursday, before surgery.
The blue is from Wednesday, after the surgery.

Top of his head
Bottom of his head.

We will drive back to pick up his helmet, and have a check-up with the surgeon on January 21st.

I received several texts and messages on Facebook from thoughtful friends and family. I'm sorry that I didn't respond to all of them, but each one was read and very appreciated.

Friends have offered to bring meals, another took my girls for a few hours today, our driveway has been plowed... I can't tell you how much everyone's kindness means to me.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, support, and prayers.

You can compare the differences in procedures if you would like by looking over Alayna's pictures HERE.

8 super cool people speak:

Raelyn said...

Jackson looks good, Friend!! I can definitely tell the difference!! You know what? I never thought about this before. But craniosynostosis reconstructive surgery is incredible!! I am so very glad that he's on the road toward recovery!! Thanks be to God!! ;-D
Seth and Kira gave you sort of a "Cranio Care Bear" package!! {I think that is what it's called!!} How neat!! By the way? That peppermint bark, if you have yet to try it, is addictive!! ;)
"We will drive back to pick up his helmet, and have a check-up with the surgeon on January 21st.". I will be praying!! ;-D
Please remember to snap some pictures of Jackson in his helmet and post them!! ;)
PS. I will briefly update my Blogging Friends on Jackson!! Today, Lord willing!! But first I must finish my Blog post!! ;-}

Saimi said...

So, so incredible!!! Wow, I'm impressed what a lil trouper that Jackson is - Here he is smiling away and I"d be complaining of a migraine if it were me! HA Where's the chocolate anyway!!

all the prayers on his behalf were definitely answered and what sweet friends and family you have!!!

So thankful everything went so well!

Sue said...

Can't believe how good he looks, and I'm so glad that all went well. You must be the most relieved mom in the entire world. And I can see the relief in your husband's face in the cute picture you posted, too.



Unknown said...

I love the picture just above the one with you and Jackson. He has his fists rolled up and the look on his face says "Bring it!"

Raelyn said...

I updated my Blogging Friends on Jackson.... In your words.... My update was not brief, I'm afraid!! Sigh.... Brevity is not my style!! ;)

Stef said...

Wow! I have been away for a while and you got pregnant, had a baby and made it through a tough surgery. Remind me to never take a blogging break. What a tough little guy you have. He is so cute and a fighter. So glad it went so well!!

balloongal said...

Such blessings. I'm glad you had so many people showing love in different ways.

Valerie said...

I'm so glad all went well and that you are surrounded by so many angel friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...