November 19, 2013

Jackson's Grand Entrance - Part One

I have witnesses. Several witnesses in fact, that will attest to the truth of what I'm about to reveal.

I predicted it you know. Down to the very day.

I told Hubby, "This is the week! He's totally coming this week. In fact, Wednesday would be the perfect day. You can deal with your crisis at work on Monday, we can make sure we do Parent-Teacher conference Tuesday night, then this little guy can come Wednesday!"

He rolled his eyes. He doubted.

He should never doubt me.

Tuesday was my 38 week doctor's appointment. My doctor informed me I was already dilated to 2-3 cm and his head way low.

When Hubby went back to work after that, my dad and I went shopping for the next three hours or so. I was hurting bad by the time we came home.

I may have been waddling before, but at that point I was full on limp-dling.

That's waddling and limping at the same time.

That night the contractions started coming fairly consistently yet I could tell it was all early labor.

Sure enough, by the time we wrapped up parent-teacher conference at the school around 8:00pm, they had slowed way down, and I slept fine that night.

The next morning, I warned Hubby to keep his phone handy at all times! This baby was going to come today!

I could tell he was skeptical.

Throughout the rest of the morning and afternoon the contractions would come and go, I would have several close together before they'd space themselves out again.

By late afternoon, the contractions were coming quite far apart, yet they were getting increasingly painful. I kept thinking how very odd it was that they hurt so dang bad but were still so far apart!

Hubby came home from work that night and by then I would have to stop and breathe through the painful contractions whenever they came on. Not too much later, I was starting to cry every time I had one.

Yes, cry. I cried okay!

You would cry too if you felt like a rototiller was going to work on your insides every few minutes! I didn't realize it at the time, but there was good reason as to why I was hurting so bad so soon.

But I'll get to that later.

At this point, I packed my bag and got my coat. I remember we were ready to head out the door right at 6:30pm because that's when our home teachers from our church showed up. Just in time to watch me cry through a contraction.


Or, not.

On the drive down to the hospital my contractions once again slowed down so Hubby suggested we walk around for a while.

About twenty minutes later, though it felt like twenty hours, I was back to the whole crying every two minutes deal.

So up we went to labor and delivery.

Now, if I confess something, promise not to tell anyone?

Okay then.

*deep breath* 

I was very seriously considering trying to go all natural with this baby.


I know right?

But it's true.

Having done it once I considered trying it again. I was kinda rationalizing it by telling myself that if I could do it with Alayna, who had Sagittal Craniosynostosis, than perhaps it would be just a bit easier with a baby who didn't.

Ironic. (I'll clarify the irony here in a minute)

However, when we checked into the hospital and discovered I was only dilated to five centimeters, I caved.

I didn't exactly beg for an epidural, per se. More like... an agonized pleading whisper.

If I felt like I was dying at five centimeters, I had no desire to discover what it would feel like at ten and beyond.

So, in came the anesthesiologist with his happy cart, and soon I was rigged and relieved. It was bliss. Pure bliss.

And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Now that I was no longer crying and crushing Hubby's hand with my ever impressive brute strength, we decided that we might as well try to decide on a name.

So, like we have done a hundred times before, we started going though baby name lists.

After not really getting any closer to choosing a name, other than Hubby deciding he really liked the name "Maxwell", he was soon in a full horizontal position and sound asleep.

I dozed just a bit before realizing that I could feel the pressure from my contractions much stronger. Soon, there was lots of pressure and quite a bit of pain.

When the nurse came back in and I announced this fact, a quick check confirmed I was ready to push.

The doctor was called and the hustle and bustle began. It took Hubby a bit to rouse himself out of his stupor of painless sleep, and the doctor, who had also been asleep down the hall, walked in just a bit bleary-eyed.

I may have cracked a joke or two aimed at men and their blissfully painless innocence.

I couldn't help myself!

Here I am with needles sticking out of all kinds of places, propped up in a very... eh hem, awkward position, feeling a fair amount of pain, and the guys are trying to rub sleep from their eyeballs!


The doctor even offered to let Hubby help deliver the baby. Hubby just stared back in silence. I don't know if he just wasn't fully awake, or he was stunned into a stupor. It was actually fairly entertaining for me to watch.

In the end, Hubby passed, not quite feeling up to the challenge.

Anyhow, as the baby's head started to crown, I was hurting big time. Which only made me all the more grateful for whatever edge the epidural was managing to take off my pain.

I know I didn't push very long, but his dang head felt like it was stuck there for an eternity! I remember telling everyone to just get his head out already!

Hubby claims I was getting a bit loud at that point in my assertions to just Get. Him. for the love... Out! But since all I remember was pain and pushing, I believe I have the right to claim that I was quite dignified and calm in my demands.

Finally... oh blessedly, there he was, squeaking and squawking and squirming in my arms.

I would like to take a moment to comment on the fact that he was born at 11:23pm Wednesday night.

Like I told Hubby, never doubt me.

The proud daddy, looking every bit as though he had just done all the work.

Not my best look to be sure. But man, it was so good to finally have him here!

Though you can't tell, I was shaking rather violently, my teeth were just chattering away.

I could have been a one-man band.

Man, do I do good work, or do I do good work!

What an adorable little bundle of ridiculous cuteness.

 Hey, I just had a baby people. I'm allowed to say terribly sappy things like "ridiculous cuteness".

By now it was the early morning hours. Hubby and I both tried to get some sleep before he got up early to head home and get the boys off to school.

My mom took these pictures of daddy showing the girls their new baby brother. She said she wishes she had thought to do it with the boys as well, because they were just as excited.

While Hubby was home helping with the other kids, about mid-morning our pediatrician came in to talk to me.

He said that our little man was wonderfully healthy and looked great!

Well, except for one thing.

He had some serious concerns about his head. It was looking an awful lot like he may have the same condition that our daughter Alayna had, Craniosynostosis.

And we should do a CT scan right away.

That's when my heart sank clear down to my toes....


8 super cool people speak:

Megan Jones said...

Sarah, I love you and your entire family! I'm so happy that Jackson is here! I pray for you guys that things will go well in regards to his health and yours. If I was up there I would totally babysit for you, just not bring you meals (let's be honest, I don't cook). You are in my thoughts and just know that you are still a great friend! Okay, mushiness over. Carry on!

Tristan said...

I love love love the birth story. And I say if painkillers are helpful then use them, if you make it through without that works too! He really is adorable.

Praying for you all and not-so-patiently waiting to hear the rest..... as I head to the hospital with Mason for surgery #10. Yeah, my 1 year old is having surgery again. At least it's somewhere new - his bottom. I'm really tired of the brain surgery thing he's been doing so much. 7 of those is plenty for anyone...

Raelyn said...

First things first. I feel that when parents are potentially facing a serious not to mention expensive birth defect--especially mine--one should wholeheartedly express "congratulations". So. Congratulations!! Jackson is beautiful, Friend. ;)
I want to protest that, no, his head looks fine, and he doesn't have craniosynostosis, but I'm not a doctor. All I can do is pray. For you. For Jackson. And I can hope that the doctor's prediction was wrong. But, if Jackson does, in fact have craniosynostosis, then please know that I will support you with prayer, plus comments. And he is Beautifully Unique!!
I am waiting impatiently for the continuation of this story!! Do not leave us all hanging!! ;)
PS. Is it okay if I post about this on my Blog--I will wait for the second half first--so that my Friends can pray, too? Sorry this is so long.

Saimi said...

No argument from me, you do AWESOME work indeed!!! What a baby doll that lil Jackson Maxwell is and what a rock star you are!

Congratulations Serene!

Mindy Kleman said...

Congrats! Love the name :)

Mindy Kleman said...

Congrats! Love the name :)

Royalbird said...

Well, you look absolutely gorgeous. And I shook violently with teeth chattering after baby #5. It was crazy! He's beautiful. Congratulations!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Thanks Megan!

Triston, I am so so sorry. I can't even imagine how hard that must be. I hope Mason will be done with surgery!

Raeyln, of course! Feel free to share, and thank you. :)

Thank you girls!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...