May 5, 2011

Star Wars and Baby Clothes

Did you know that yesterday was the official "Star Wars Day"?

No joke. You can Wikipedia it.

Thanks Triston for telling me about it. That was just about the coolest thing I've heard in a long time.

When you grow up with your dad being one of the world's greatest Star Wars fans, you just naturally become one with the force. You can't escape it.

And you learn to live with certain phrases being part of your everyday vocabulary.

For example, you never said, "Okay, I'll try!" Because then someone would go all Yoda on you. "Do, or do not. There is no try."



If you were trying to make a decision, you were often given the encouragement in the form of, "Trust your feelings, you KNOW it to be true!"





Star Wars phrases flew around our house like Cheerios do in mine.

Darth Vader figures adorned my father's desk. I even got him a Darth Tator one year, cause seriously, how cool is that?

I think my husband was automatically accepted into the family and was deemed worthy, based solely on the fact that his name is Luke.

Even if he wasn't raised on Star Wars the way I was, he must have a little Skywalker in him. Whenever he finds my hair in the bathroom or the girl's hair around the house, he exclaims that he found a "wookie".

Some people just have no respect for those of us who happen to have a little extra hair.



But yesterday, instead of celebrating Star Wars Day, I went on a crazy cleaning binge. My bedroom is now the epitome of spotless. I cleaned and dusted, washed and organized every inch of it since the baby always sleeps in our room the first several months.

Luke came home to find freshly washed baby clothes strewn across our bed, as I am trying to figure out how to squeeze one more wardrobe into the house. With seven people's things and three small closets, we're getting creative.

"Uh, let me guess, you're ready for the baby to come."

Huh, I wonder what gave me away?

I know I still have three weeks left, but in the last couple of days, I have gone from feeling nonchalant about it all, to full blown nesting.

I've taken spring cleaning to a whole new level.

Unfortunately, we all know how long a clean house lasts when it's full of toddlers. So while it might not be my most brilliant plan ever to get the house cleaned now, I just can't help myself.

So, I'm off to tackle yet another room.

In the meantime, may the force be with you.

12 super cool people speak:

Susan Anderson said...

We're big Star Wars fans, ourselves. But I had no idea there was actually a DAY.

Apparently, there are even bigger fans than my family...

;)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Ya, I saw on another blog a picture of Frodo or whoever the wrinkly old guy is.
It said "may the fourth be with you"


I didn't know there was a Star Wars day. I remember those movies from the 70's. Ya, you weren't even alive then I know.

Glad you are getting the place clean.
It will last for about a half a minute, but you are getting yourself ready for the "real cleaning"

Cheeseboy said...

No wonder my inlaws hate me. I'm not named Chewbacca.

I only heard 87 times yesterday that it was Star Wars day from my first graders.

Car Title Loans said...

There was a Marathon on one of the science channels, and I would be lying if I didn't say I stayed up way too late to watch it. Just something about Ewoks and Yoda, I just can't get enough!
Ava

Wonder Woman said...

I had to remind my husband that it was May the Fourth. We were both shocked that I was the one to remember.

Good luck with your nest!!!!!

Morgan Hagey said...

I always say my house IS clean, under all the crap. If I've swept it or vacuumed it recently, despite the stuff everywhere, it's deemed "clean." So I understand.:)

TisforTonya said...

My kids thought I was making it up... and then I had to explain the whole "may the fourth/may the force" thing a few too many times... it stopped being witty.

I think my husband may just want to have another kid so that I'll do the whole "nesting" thing again...

but probably not :)

okay, definitely not!

Gina said...

What's funny is your whole post from the day before kept talking about Star Wars... I assumed you were leading up to the big "May the fourth be with you" line!

Haha!

Glad you're on board now, though!

Amy said...

Happy Star Wars day (belated) to you too.

I'm a major fan. I won the Star Wars Trivia contest at the midnight premiere of Episode Two in Show Low, AZ back in '02.

Yep. I am a Jedi. WOM! (that was the sound of my lightsaber swinging)

*katrina* said...

Yesterday Justin told me May 4th was International Star Wars Day or I wouldn't have known. Actually, I believe the phrase was, "May the fourth be with you." ha ha.

JennaK said...

So now what you need is a nice set of Star Wars baby clothes. Maybe some cute Princess Leia buns or something.

Cluttered Brain said...

i'm sorry I haven't commented as much...i hope your pregnancy is going okay...and you get your cleaning done before the baby comes!!!
I can't WAIT until CBC 2012...I hope you will be there girl! K?
:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...