May 2, 2011

On ducks, penguins, and nesting

I can't tell you exactly when I started waddling, but I am well into the phase where people start comparing me to animals. Specifically ducks, or penguins. Depends on the person.

I am quite a talented waddler, I must say. The natural sway of my hips as they strive to put one foot in front of the other clearly indicate that by all logical reasoning, the extra effort and exercise should at least reward me with a nicely toned buttocks.

Alas, much like a duck, my bum is merely fluffier then ever.

*image found on google
I just don't understand physics.

Even my husband noticed my sexy sway when his manly gait carried him 100 yards in front of me before noticing my massive bulk was missing from his side.

He "encouraged" me (lovingly of course) to hurry up. After glaring at him (lovingly of course) I informed him how uncomfortable it is to have to walk through so many contractions.

The blank look on his face indicated that he clearly (lovingly of course) had no clue what the heck I was talking about.

So I had to check my reflection to make sure I hadn't sprouted feathers and a beak, just in case.


With only four weeks to go before my due date, people are really starting to notice the "you're going to pop any second" vibes my taut clothes must be giving off. For the last two weeks I've had more people talk to me, inquiring after how I feel and so forth, than my whole pregnancy combined.

You know that's a bad sign.

But my neighbor, who just had her adorable twins on Friday, gave me a really hard time for comparing my last pregnancy picture to a whale. She told me I'd be in big trouble if I ever did that again.

So I promised I wouldn't.

And I am a girl of my word.



I know, shocking, isn't it. If you're confused again as to which one is me, let me know. I'll give up my secret just for you.


But up till now, I haven't experienced any "nesting" whatsoever.

And seriously, what's with all the blasted bird references when it comes to pregnancy? Makes me feel a little awkward.


I have never gone beyond my due date, and my last two kids have come one to two weeks early. And with all the contractions I've been having lately, I think it unlikely that I will make it to my due date this time either. But we'll see.

Anyway, I think the whole nesting thing is finally starting to hit me. It just might be time to start making baby arrival preparations.

Like getting out the pack-n-play. And buying a car seat.

Yup, that just about covers it!

15 super cool people speak:

Kristina P. said...

I'm so glad you compared yourself to the less offensive giant hot air balloon.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

I do what I can to make everyone happy. :D

The Bagley Family said...

Serene, you suck:) Seriously:) lol..tiny belly (did I tell you I gained 80 lbs with one of my pregnancy?? That is whale-ish and there was only ONE...oh the shame...) and then you tell me you go two weeks BEFORE??? Honey, I went two weeks AFTER my due date:( I was pregnant for 10 months, literally.
Eegads lady! You are making pregnancy look GOOD!!!

Doran & Jody said...

You look nothing like a waddle...er I mean duck! OR a balloon!

Good luck!!! Glad it's you and not me :) Did I type that out loud?

Neisha said...

how exciting that the end is in sight :)

Amy said...

The picture of you in the nest is hilarious

Susan Anderson said...

How come you got so lucky as to be the cutest pregnant lady ever? It's downright unjust!

;)

Valerie said...

Of course, I agree with everyone else and was gonna say how great you look!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are such a dork!
You don't look like a hot air balloon at all.
Your shirt is white.


OK, just kidding.
I so remember the feeling of feeling like I was never going to walk normal during the 5th pregnancy.
It will be over soon and you can give that little munchkin lots of lovies!

Carrie said...

Well, I think you look just lovely and un-bird like;)

Mama Smith said...

Everybody? She took after her mother...(just saying) (smile)

ldsjaneite said...

My sister went 3-5 weeks early with her 4 kids. Last month, #5 came just 5 days before the due date. She was going CRAZY!!! It made my mom laugh, who can't even keep remember who all came late of us 8 kids.

Pitterle Postings said...

Just breath and remember the wonderful present that you get at the end of all of this!! Love it! (and I have so been there!) This too shall pass!

mCat said...

I wish I coud hate you for looking so great when you are just about ready to squeeze a baby out! Really, so unfair that you look gorgeous!

And yeah, a car seat would be a good idea...

Seth said...

I like the striped shirt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...