May 12, 2011

Does this make me frugal? Ghetto? Or just plain weird?

In preparation for the baby's "any day now" arrival, (and no mocking me for wishful thinking, only I'm allowed to do that) I have been trying to figure out how and where to put all the baby's things. Seeing as the other two bedrooms are already pretty full, especially the closets, I had to get creative.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll probably recognize this dandy little piece of furniture.

BEFORE

Okay, so it's something Hubby made during his High School years back in the Ice Age. But we have used it over the years for many, many different things. And now, it comes in handy once again.

I almost think we should name it, after all, it's practically family. What do you think about... Henry?

Anyhow, with all the other expenses that come with a baby, our budget was already hurting, so I wanted to try and use things we already had on hand.

Since diaper boxes still float around our house like Cheerios do on my floor, they weren't too hard to find. So I wiped them down and covered them up!

AFTER

Isn't the fancy word for such things these days, "repurposing"?

Even my poor, beat-up ole' toy basket is still capable of holding blankets.

So, what do you think?



Does this make me fugal, ghetto, or just plain weird?

Be honest. I can take it!

On second thought... if it's ghetto or just plain weird, lie to me, and tell me it's awesome instead.

28 super cool people speak:

Renee said...

I say frugal because I did the same thing in my pantry. Way to much stuff going into lanfills these days. Plus half the decorate boxes you buy at "decorating" stores is made of the same stuff and they sell it for way to much money. Plus you can recover it to change it to your mood. :) If you did that though it would be covered in a chocolate cover. LOL

Susan Anderson said...

I think it makes you frugal and FUN.

That is one cool idea!

=)

Amy said...

K totally not lying when I say this is an awesome idea! It looks totally cute!
And you should definitely name it Henry. I like it. :)

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

I say frugal, and cute! A great idea, that if it gets damaged, can easily be replaced.

the fowlers said...

totally cheap chic.
or fancy frugal?

whichever floats your boat. i'm hoping for any day now for you, too.

Kristina P. said...

I think it makes you awesome! Because I spend way too much money on those things.

Brittney said...

i was gonna say a little ghetto until I saw you covered the boxes. Now it looks so adorable! I love your frugality.

Wonder Woman said...

Frugal and freakin' cool. LOVE this idea. It should go on some re-purposing site. Seriously, super cute.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Brittney. When I saw the first picture I thought that was your big reveal and frankly, it was trash-tastic. But I love the final product! Very cute and such a great idea. :-)

Phannie said...

They are fantastic. And for the record you are not the only person who has done this. I saw it on another crafty blog. Don't feel bad. You're creative and frugal. It's great

Neisha said...

I would say "creative"

mCat said...

Well done, I would have tossed the diaper boxes and spent money that I don't have.

Smart is what I call you

Vanessa said...

You are so cute, that is awesomely creative. I am only on baby #3 and I really did not want to buy anything either. You did great. I can't wait to see the little one, good luck to you. Hope all goes well.

Carrie said...

how about fashionably frugal?

The Hulls said...

Not ghetto. It's a great idea. I'm also impressed that it's not Christmas wrapping paper!! :) Oh, and I got the same orange, brown and yellow bag from my OB's office that you have stored under "Henry".

JennaK said...

I love it!

Kira said...

It's cute. Just not durable. However, that problem is fixable. You can replace every two weeks with new ones.

Pitterle Postings said...

I think it is great!! It looks nice, is functional, and will do the job nicely. If you get tired of the decor, you can just change it out to something you like better!!

Valerie said...

Haha! I have my printer in my bedroom on a pile of boxes and always tell my kids it's ghetto furniture. Mine isn't decorated all cute like yours though. :)

Stef said...

I think that makes you awesome. As in, holy cow where did you come up with that plan. I would have used the boxed, but never thought about making them look NICE. But I am white trashy that way. Impressed, indeed.

Nikki said...

How about just plain brilliant! I never would have thought of that. That is so awesome!

Mama Smith said...

That reminds me of covering "BRICKS" with AWESOME "flowered" MATERIAL and making "cute little bows" to put on the front of them that held up a board for family pictures...on top of the desk in your old bedroom...(when I was able to take it back for my office, again...) It is truly a "FAMILY" tradition...
LOVE IT, Sarah!

Cluttered Brain said...

No it's awesome. I like the purple color and the butterflies.
You are defintely definitely not ghetto. Definitely not.

do I sound like rainman though in this comment?

Cheeseboy said...

I think it makes you look "better than Target".

Cassie said...

Well if it makes you ghetto it makes me too! I did the same thing in my office/guest room/scrapbook room/treadmill gathering dust room!

Megan said...

Ghetto would probably be leaving them undecorated and stacked on the floor.
And they're definitely cheaper than rubbermaid containers!

Charlotte said...

Frugal and classy I hope. Mostly because I am saving my chip boxes for a similar purpose.

Cara said...

This is a great idea! I'm going to try it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...