March 30, 2011

Alayna cuts her hair, and I cry.

I know what you're going to think, and I know what you're going to say.

Heck, even I know it's really not that big of a deal, and of course I know that it will grow back! I even know that it could have been worse!

But hang it all, ever since Alayna's surgery, when she went from this


to this



and the surgeon handed me all her shaved off hair in a little bag that said, "toxic waste" on it, I just kind of freak out anytime someone suggests or offers to give her a hair cut. It always takes me back to those images for some reason.

Pish, I know right, toxic waste? So rude.

And you know what the worst part is? I was in the room when it happened, and I missed it! Ack! I just... *deep breaths... deep breaths...* Grrr.... you know what I'm saying?

The deal was, the boys were cutting up paper at the kitchen table. No biggie right, they do it all the time! I had my back turned to them, making them lunch when all of a sudden Joseph yells, "Mom! Mom! Alayna's cutting her hair!!"

I whip around to find Alayna, scissors in hand looking at me like it was no big deal.

At first, I felt relief that it didn't appear to be so bad, but as I combed out her hair, the big, giant clumps just kept coming and coming and coming.


That's when I cried.

No I, really did.

She gave herself a mullet! Ahhhhh!!!! Like I said, I know it could have been worse, but *sniffle* she gave herself a mullet.


It was just getting long enough to put in cute pigtails and such. She was even getting her Utah poof on while we were down there last weekend. You know, trying to fit in and all.


And so it was with a heavy heart, that I gave her a hair cut last night.

I didn't want to cut it as short as she had, but I needed to blend it in a little so it wasn't so blatantly obvious either.

So this was my compromise.


If I comb it just right, I can almost hide her butcher job.

So all day long I kept thinking and wondering how she could do such a thing! She's knows better, they all do!

It wasn't until later in the day that I noticed two bald spots on the top of Jacob's head. That's when it all clicked.

Jacob had been cutting his hair, that's why there was really blonde hair on the ground that had looked too light to be Alayna's. I guess she was just trying to be like her big brother.

Go figure.

I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

Like, next year.

Maybe.

29 super cool people speak:

The Tolmans said...

Ben would say..."Business in the front...Party in the back!" I think he has gotten the boys to memorize that saying about the "mullet". Too funny though, and I think I remember doing that to myself when I was little too. I think it's a right of passage!

mCat said...

What little girl doesn't cut her own hair?
If it makes you feel any better, this is NOTHING compared to what happened to my granddaughter a couple of years ago. By an adult.

Kristina P. said...

Maybe you can fit a Bumpit in there!

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

When I was four, my hair was down past my waist. I took a fine toothed comb and "curled" my hair. It ended up being so tangled that my dad, MY DAD!, helped me fix it. Fortunately for both of us, the issue was on the underside of my hair.

I am so afraid of my kids using scissors ever since my cousins little girl cut the bun out of her hair so that she could comfortably lay down to take a nap.
I would cry too, which i don't normally do.

Charlotte said...

Both my girls have had bald-man worthy comb-overs to cover near the scalp cutting attempts. For years seeing clumps of hair on the floor was my nightmare.

Melissa said...

I can totally sympathize with you! My FIVE year old just cut her hair for the SECOND time. And her hair hardly grows....at ALL. Her hair was in one ponytail (minus all the pieces that had fallen out, because, like I said...her hair doesn't grow very much) and she lopped off about 6".

She did this once before, just before she turned 4 years old. So she most definitely knows better.

And I cried, too.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry to laugh and your misfortune, but I couldn't help myself!!! this was so funny!!!

I'm like you. I'm obsessed with my hair. Every time I see a cute short style, I think... maybe? then NO! Ames, if you chop your hair, you'll hate yourself.

I've worked too hard for so long to get it this length. I think I will have the same obsession with my future daughters' hair.

Brittney said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so sad!!! But the short cut is cute. Good job!

Neisha said...

you did a good job fixing her haircut :)

Susan Anderson said...

You did a great job of salvaging her look with such a cute cut. Of course, her cute little face doesn't hurt, either.

Now all you need are some of those adorable little hair claws with ladybugs, flowers, or such on them!

=)

Vanessa said...

I am sorry about the mullet. She looks great though... I am not sure WHY every kids must have a hair cut disaster at some point in their lives.

Cassie said...

That's my biggest fear when scissors get left or when I see Audriana holding a pair of scissors! I am so sorry! She looks super cute though and it doesn't look bad at all.

Gina said...

The finished cut is actually really cute, so I wouldn't be too upset! :)

Courtney said...

Just stick bows on the short section and it will hide it. Hopefully she will keep them in. That stinks and is my biggest fear about Rosalie.

Heather S said...

those eyes looking up at you just about kill me! we haven't had a hair cutting incident here... yet.. knock on wood. cross my fingers... hold my breath. i'm sure it's just a matter of time. and i'm pretty sure i'll bawl my eyes out.

CB said...

Oh my goodness I am speechless at the hospital pictures. I guess I haven't been following you long enough to know that story but the pictures tore at my heart!
I can totally understand why you would be extra sad at a haircut!!
She is a beauty either way though ;-D

gigi said...

The night before Thanksgiving my D.I.L. took our GRAND~daughters to see the movie, "Tangled". Next morning, two hours before all the family gets together for Tahnksgiving Dinner our 3 year old did the same thing, cut her hair and not just on top she gave herself a half mullet in the back. My D.I.L. cried and cried. Reagan came into dinner with a Santa hat on to cover her head until someone could cut it the next day.
Children just cut their hair and mommy's just cry. That's just the way it is and it sucks and yes it does grow back but just not fast enough!!
So sorry.

Jessica said...

AHHH! So sorry Serene! The trim looks good though. Pixie sweet. So hard when they pull the heart strings! YIKES! Hang in there :)

The Bagley Family said...

Oh honesy I am sorry...(yes I laughed till I cried...) you did an AWESOME job of fixing it! And to make you feel better please look at my facebook pictures and notice that kathleen is OLDER the Alayna, has NEVER cut her hair (cuz I convinced her it will be super painful and it will bleed...I am crazy like that and she is a little scared to try...) and the sad fact she STILL HAS LESS HAIR THEN ALAYNA!!! yes, Kathleen has a natural baby mullet...super thin hair, nothing on the sides, her pigtails look insane...cuz you can see the bald spots.
We are also dealing with my 4 year old Charlie's bald spots which *I* thought were from him cutting his hair (and I gave him HECK!!)...and then I noitced it never grew in and more bald spots...doctor dianosed him with alopecia and every now and then I see a few more little bald spots on his big head(his head is giant so losing hair is very sad...). And he has the best hair of all three of my kids:(
At least they didn't cut things that don't grow bacjk...like furniture and carpet...and fingers...

Stef said...

Oh, it looks so cute. But definately shorter. And I too am clueless about the surgery to her sweet head. What happened?
I have been lucky to not have that happen...knock on wood.
You did a great job!

Sara Lyn said...

You did such a great job on fixing it! It looks adorable. Reminds me of when someone cut all my hair off and you made it look nice. :)

Jenny P. said...

Glorious save there Mom, she looks adorable. My Lucy had a mullet not so long ago... caught off two huge chunks right above each ear. It was hilarious. Though not so much in the moment...

Pitterle Postings said...

I think it looks too stickin cute!! she is cute no matter what length it is. I know the feeling, all of my daughters (or their brothers) have had unwanted hair cuts. Miracle had hair down past her bottom and gave herself a chin length wedge. I still cry when I think of all that beautiful hair all over the bathroom sink!! Girls are totally crazy!!

Momza said...

I can see why you would cry. Use this pic as blackmail. My almost 16 yo did the same thing after watching "Mulan" when she was 3...which reminds me, I need to dig it out, as her first date ever is this weekend!
Luckily, her hair is mid way down her back these days. lol

TisforTonya said...

oh... sorry. Been there, done that... I think there are still some neighbors still afraid of me after THAT day's reaction...

I thought it was safe to let my girls watch "The Parent Trap" while I napped... We even talked about how horrible it would be to coat someone in honey and string... but we neglected to mention that they should never cut each other's hair...

hindsight is 20/20 -

good thing Alayna is still adorable :)

Lisa S said...

That pixie cut is adorable on her!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So very SORRY!!! Her little sad, red face is pitiful!! But Mom...what a great job you did! She looks a bit older now...and still absolutely adorable! I am fearful Dad would have a worse reaction if any of the kiddos touch Rachel Mae's hair!! He was not happy just clipping her bangs!
Maria

Garvin Smith said...

It doesn't matter. She is so cute anyway.

Seth said...

Ya, but nice save! Cuute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...