December 8, 2009

A Mommy Channel Moment

I finish pinching the crust of my Turkey Pot Pie because I am such a wonderful homemaker and always have fabulous homemade dinners for my family.

(insert smile with perfect white teeth that flash a sparkle your way)

No, no wait... that's not right. Sorry, wrong story.

I finish pinching the crust on my Turkey Pot Pie. After all, when you buy a 27 pound turkey for Thanksgiving you tend to have lots of leftovers, and you start getting desperate.

I place my beauty in the oven and turn my attention to the overflowing sink and crushed Cheerios on the floor. Savannah is painting Jacob's toenails on the kitchen floor and Joseph is an attentive observer. Alayna is playing with toys in the living room and all is well.

(sniff... sniff...) What is that smell!?

I look in the oven and see that a piece of my pie crust has fallen off and has landed on the oven burner below. Leaping into action I throw open the oven door only to get slapped in the face by a billow of smoke.

Hoping the fire alarm won't go off, I quickly try and open the kitchen window. Its frozen shut, of course.

I turn my attention back to the oven as more crust drips off my pie. Grabbing oven mitts and a cookie sheet, I quickly push my not so swell looking pie onto the cookie sheet and place it on top of the oven.

Grabbing a metal spatula, I attempt to scoop and scrap up all the fallen crust. By now Alayna has crawled into the kitchen and as the crust lights on fire I yell at Savannah to grab Alayna and keep her away from the oven.

Pretty soon I'm wrestling with fire covered pie crust dough, Alayna is screaming at the top of her lungs in an effort to get away from Savannah, who is also yelling back at Alayna that's its hot and dangerous. Jacob is jumping and screaming that there's fire, and Joseph is yelling that he wants more cereal. (okay, so there really wasn't much more than a single flame but it sounded more dramtic this way)

I'm not entirely sure how my mind managed to capture all of that.

And now, my house smells like smoke, my pot pie looks like crud, my dishes still sit in the sink and I think some of the Cheerio crumbs got into Jacob's wet toenail polish.

And some people think being a stay-at-home-mom is all ease and fluff.

HA!

9 super cool people speak:

ldsjaneite said...

Maybe not easy, but definitely a riot!

Brittney said...

what a perfect post to follow the last sentimental one.

Sara Lyn said...

That reminds me of Betsy's first pie-making experience from the Betsy-Tacy books. Ah, good times.

Katie said...

Is it okay if I laugh really hard?

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Courtney said...

It reminds me of my house growing up. Makes me miss being a kid, but I do love being a mom.

E said...

Yay for being a stay at home mom--woudl you rather the baby sitter be burning crust in your oven? Not me:)

Wonder Woman said...

Cute blog! Your description sounds like me -- or what I hope is me in a few years. (I've only got 2.5 kids).

I'm just impressed that you made pot pie.

Mama Smith said...

Do you remember our kitchen fire? We had a brand new refrigerator...been in the house only a few weeks...and the kid I was babysitting...taught one of you kids how to light matches....Yeah.....luckily...before the fire department showed up...I had the fire OUT...What a way to introduce our family to the neighborhood...If I had only known that was only the beginning of "cops being sent to our home...." on a few occasions.....helicopter and ambulances on another occasion...paramedics on another occasion....We always gave our neighbors something to "gossip" about....(smile)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...