May 30, 2008

Man's Best Friend

No, I'm not talking about dogs. I'm referring to the computer! Perhaps you PC users have no idea what I am talking about, but I know you Mac users understand. Luke often makes fun of me because I spend a of of time on my computer. But I can't help it. Most of my art projects require the use of my computer and  all the drawings I do are from digital photos so I sit in front of my computer to draw. If I do happen to work on a project that doesn't require the use of my favorite machine then I simply turn my chair around and without creating any distance, I have access to a small table designated as my work table. So, I end up spending a large part of my day on or near my computer. My kids often play next to me and sometimes they will even sit and watch for a while. Why am I saying all of this? Because once again it is the middle of the night and I am unable to sleep. So, I turn to my computer, probably out of habit.
Hmmm, Jacob is crying, I'll finish this post in the morning.

Okay, I'm back. I wanted to share a funny story that happened yesterday. I went to the Bishop's Storehouse for the first time to can some food. Due to events that are not relevant to the story I ended up having to pick up the kids from the babysitters and bring them back to the storehouse so I could pay for and pick-up the food. The entrance has two sets of automatic doors, because it has a breezeway so the kids were running back and forth playing with the doors while I was standing in line. They were just fine, having fun, bothering no one, until this little old lady came up. She apparently thought their lives were in danger and took it upon herself to save my kids from being crushed to death in the doors that won't close on you because of the sensors. Now, I once had a friend tell me that my middle name should have been "Sassy" instead of "Serene". If that applies to me than it really applies to my kids 10 times more. They did not appreciate this lady's efforts to save them. So, she opted to grab their hands and proceeded to drag them into the storehouse. Okay, my kids do NOT like being man-handled, in any sort of way and they were actually fighting her, poor soul, and and yelling at her to let go. Once she got them into the room they ran off into the corner to get away from her. Then she remarked, "there, at least I did something pro-active!" or something to that nature. Where was I and why did I not step in? I did try to tell the kids it was okay and she was just trying to help but I was holding Jacob and a bunch of other stuff so it was hard to react quickly (Jacob is a hefty load)  I also didn't want to hurt the lady's feeling by telling her that my kids were just fine. (I really don't know how to convey just how worried she was that my kids were going to die)  While I lectured my kids on treating adults with respect, part of me thought that after a remark like she made and if she was going to go through all that trouble to handle something that was none of her business, than she probably deserved the work-out she got. Don't think I'm too terrible for saying that. As a mother, I don't appreciate other people trying to take on the role if I am right there to handle it, no matter how good their intentions. Oops, my feisty is coming out. I better stop writing now.

8 super cool people speak:

ldsjaneite said...

Yea for Macs, and You Go Mom! I know you are an observant and aware mother. I see the other kind at the library all the time. That's not you.

Anonymous said...

Well...at least we gave you the right letter "S" for your middle name...in case you wish to change legally your middle name from "Serene" to "Sassy"...Wouldn't change your "initials"...(smile) Besides, you really didn't have much of a chance...in not having a "sassy" attitude...YOU have BOTH of your parents' "genes" floating through your veins...(smile)

Brittney said...

so question - Serene is your middle name? Then what's your first name?

I don't understand the whole mother thing, but I know I've heard similar sentiments from other moms :)

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Mom, does that mean I get to blame all my bad behavior on you and dad? =)

Brittany, my name is actually Sarah Serene but two of my best friends names were Sara(h). So, they called me Serene to help keep us apart and it just sorta stuck.

Sara Lyn said...

Serene, I love that some people don't know your first name anymore. :) Mission accomplished. :)

ldsjaneite said...

I'm still in habit from CP days and have trouble saying either name separately.

Meagan said...

It can be very annoying when people try to tell you what to do or help you do it. I know. It does sound like she meant well though, and it must have been hilarious watching her drag your kids. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh that's my BIGGEST peev! What a funny story, though, ha ha! You Sassy thang, you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...